This edition of Mentor Online is taken from The Great Communicator newsletter: “Management communication or the new millennium” by Elizabeth A. More and Harry T. Irwin in Management Quarterly, August 2000.
To be a better communicator, concentrate on building skills in the 10 core competencies identified by Australian business professors as key to superior communication.
- Competence in listening and responding.
- Overcoming reticence.
- Being open and frank.
- Establishing and sustaining a smooth and easy pattern of interaction.
- Being appropriately assertive.
- Asking effective questions.
- Understanding what people say.
- Negotiating successfully.
- Resolving conflict.
- Interpreting nonverbal behavior.